Sunday, November 13, 2011

DIfficulty

So far, the greatest difficulty presented to me by this book is just finding the time to read it. as ive posted about before, i have a very busy schedule. juggling 6 classes, work, and new found family drama does not leave much time for reading. when i get home from work, around 10 at night, i lay in bed and read until i fall asleep. unfortunately sleep comes quickly after a long day, and i typically only get 3 pages in at a time. the weekends hold the most amount of time. i am very grateful for this three day weekend because i am able to catch up on everything. reading, blogging, and other homeworks are slowly being checked off of my list :D
Other than finding time to read the book, In Dubious Battle is also difficult in context. though the book does take place in San Jose (the city i have lived in for all 19 years of my life) there is a time barrier which makes the city very foreign. It is very hard to imagine San Jose as anything other than a busy city with endless miles of sidewalks and housing. when reading, i picture the book taking place in selma. (a small farming town about 3 hours from san jose) this is easy to do because the book never really says it takes place in SJ.
to get a better understanding for the time period, i often ask my parents and grandma about their younger days, back when orchards were the norm. my family has lived within this cities limits for two generations, so i am very lucky to have primary sources. My grandmother especially has been a big help. she was born in the 30s and witnessed 70 years of local history. hearing her stories has put the books setting into a more realistic perspective. this is largely because i can picture the older generations of my own family dealing with similar circumstances that Jim and Mac are facing.

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean. I too take six classes and work, and I find it difficult to find time. I really like how you have tried to put yourself in the time period of the book. I am curious to find out how this area looked way back when, and to find out your grandmas take on the area when she was growing up.

    ReplyDelete