Friday, October 7, 2011

week 4

What was going in my life at age 14? like most other 14 year olds, i had begun my first year of high school. The transition from childhood to adulthood had begun. i would consider that particular year to be one of the most difficult because ones lifestyle changes significantly. the pressure at school takes a jump to new extremes, there are more responsibilities associated with home life, hormones are forever raging conflicts within the mind and body. However, Marjane had to endure much more than just a new school and the exaggerated conflicts brought on by simply being a teenager; her conflicts were very real.
As far as her situation goes, Marjane's parents send her away to attend school in Austria.They do this to keep her safe from prison. "judging by the situation here, you'll be better off somewhere else" (148). At that point Marjane realizes that, though her parents said they would, they arent coming with her.
Marjane maybe very young, but she has demonstrated certain qualities and strengths that lead me to believe she will be fine on her own. she shows great independence and is very head-strong. this is a quality most 14 year old do not possess. I would assume that Marjane will first find it stressful in Austria. but as the time passes, she will blossom into a stronger person than she already is. and without the stress of imprisonment upon her young mind, she will reach her true potential.
like i said before, i believe that 14 is a very stressful age. I honeslty find it hard to put myself in Marjanes shoes. to have so much responsibility at that age is hard to fathom. yet, people tend to rise to the occasion and they do what they must to get by. You dont know how strong you are until you have to be.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you when you predicted, "Marjane will first find it stressful…" I think anytime someone is surrounded by so many new things it can be stressful and almost overwhelming. I remember having to just switch high schools, and that was hard to adjust to. I couldn't even imagine how hard switching countries must be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria,

    I do share your opinion on how difficult it is for a 14-year old to handle stress especially being alone away from home with no supports mentally and physically. I was there once, so I know exactly how it's like. Thanks for sharing.

    Trang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this would be stressful, but I am certain that there was some sense of relief as well. I cannot imagine the toll that living through these long years of revolution and war would have on a person, no matter what age. I do remember being 14, though (barely!) and I remember the ability I had to disconnect from real problems. I think I was better then than I am now at 'checking' out from all of the places where I felt uncomfortable and focusing on what made me happy. Something about youth, I think, enables this self-protecting mechanism. Now, I tend to try to face those issues head-on, for better or worse. I'm not sure I could let my family send me away without at least asking them: why aren't you coming with me?

    ReplyDelete