Friday, September 16, 2011

Prompt 3 choice 2


I found that the only scene I relate to in this book is on pages 70 and 71. Here, Marji is so upset at the loss of her uncle, she losses faith in god to a certain extent. “Shut up, you! Get out of my life!!! I never want to see you again!” (70).
I was raised under a pagan faith. It’s comparable to Native American worshippers who held the earth as sacred. Pagans also believe in a goddess. Now this made sense to me because it was women who created life, not men.  I’d like to point out that both of my parents were raised catholic yet converted. They decided that this pagan faith suited them more.
I was about 11 when my grandpa Jimmy died of cancer.  His death was followed by my grandpa Wills death only a month later. At this point I had sat and pondered about death, the afterlife, and if there really was an after life. I never was religious, but I had an idea about what happened after death. My mother explained to me that our lives are like a drop of water and when we die we return to the ocean. The circle of life comes to mind. “We are all a part of the great circle of life.” Says Mufasa from Disney’s The Lion King. But the remorse brought upon our family from these deaths caused me to loss what little faith I had. I didn’t want to think about the pagan gods and goddesses, I didn’t want to think about if there was a Christian heaven, none of that mattered because it didn’t exist to me.
I still don’t believe in God. This isn’t due to a death in the family or any unfortunate circumstances. Its just the more I learn about our world and how it works, there is less and less need for a god to exist. If you are religious I don’t mean to offend your faith. Faith is a beautiful thing to have. It’s just not my thing.
Now, I think the author placed this scene in her book to really emphasize how impacting the death of her uncle was to her. Before this happened, she wanted to be a prophet for God. She had established a personal relationship with him. This is evident because she depicts herself holding conversations with him in her room. There is a huge contrast between her wanting to be a prophet and her telling God to shut up and get out of her life. The scene impacts the novel because it shows a change in her attitude. She is only a young girl, yet has to deal with very adult situations.
My two reactions were vastly different. When I bring my own reaction and background into the text, it distracts me from what the author was telling me about herself. I think it is important for a reader to think about a work objectively before putting his or her own emotions into it. 

7 comments:

  1. What an interesting post this is to read! I agree that it is important for a reader to "think about a work objectively," but I believe that equally important is the process of "putting his or her own emotions into it." Yes, the writer has created a scene with characters, plot and dialogue and comprehending this scene means to understand what is happening to the character in this fictional world, but if the reader can relate this scene to their own life experience, as you have done so wonderfully here, then the reader is making meaning on a deeper level because this meaning goes beyond the narrative and reaches out into real life. In this way, making a comparison to a personal experience can increase the reader's comprehension of the deeper emotions/actions conveyed in the text. It's an exchange really, and a very powerful aspect of reading literature! I'd like to talk about this in class because you have really brought up an excellent point here.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks you Professor Knapp for clarifying the importance of understanding a work on an objective and personal level. i find that people tend to easily relate to any work they read. to understand something on an objective level is a little more complex because one has to remove themselves from the picture and simply refer to the text. i think i placed more emphasis on understanding something objectively because it is not as easy as relating to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people believe in "God" because this is the only way that they have to survive; however, some others think as you. Also, You made me think about what I really need in order to be happy with my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is so interesting... I am sorry about your grandfather's loss... I haven't meet a pagan before so this is cool that I get to know you. From your post I am able to learn how to respect other people's point of views and hear them out, especially your comment, "Its just the more I learn about our world and how it works, there is less and less need for a god to exist."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comments maba5201 and Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, you are a very talented writer. I really enjoyed reading this. You have a unique perspective on live and of the book.

    I to, have experienced the loss of both of my grandfathers at an early age. The last to occur when I was 16, (long ago), and it affected me profoundly. I soon found myself having an anti-religious view and even later on considered myself to be agnostic/atheist.

    It wasn't until recently re-discovered my faith in a higher power. Not any particular religion, just a feeling of fate, or destiny.

    You have a gift and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for the comment David. it was very flattering =]
    also, i share your faith in a higher power. though im not so bold as to call it a god or a goddess. i think its very healthy to believe in something more than this world alone.

    ReplyDelete