Friday, September 23, 2011

Reading Habits


I credit myself as a workaholic. This semester I am taking 18 units. On top of this I am working 30 hours a week. When it comes down to it, I have very little free time to do anything besides get from one place to the next. This makes it difficult to read. Growing up, I was an avid reader. Even at a young age I enjoyed reading challenging novels, such as Rebbecca by Daphne du Maurie, which i read when i was 11. But reading does take up a considerable amount of time. I have a pile of books at home i want to read, but simply dont have the time to do so. I am thankful that the workload for this English class is limited to the occasional blog and some reading. Its not nearly as hectic as English 1C was. But then again I did take 1C during winter intersession.

Just so you can have an idea of my daily life, here is my schedule for this semester

monday and wednesdays: school from 7:40-2 with a 1 hour break in between classes. This is followed by work at 3
tuesdays and thursdays: school from 9-3 with work at 4
fridays: school from 9-12 with work at 4
saturdays: school from 9-3

As far as the reading for this class goes, i find time on the weekends. There is about a three-hour gap between English 1B and work. This is where I finish up my weekly reading for Persepolis. I am very happy that Persepolis is a graphic novel, or else finding time for it would be more complicated. Most of the remaining free time goes to my 5 other classes. Yeah i know, i chose this therefore i deserve the suffering. lol no worries though. 

In my ideal world, Sundays would be reserved for sleeping and sleeping alone. But alas, this is not the case. Any work I need to catch up on before the week starts up again, is done on Sunday. Like this blog for instance =]

I honestly don’t know how I find the time to do it all. I wish there were more hours in the day

4 comments:

  1. I think we are in the same sail boat. I love that your are a workaholic but hate that i am. I'm not taking 18 units like you, but I do have five classes that I am taking which are from Monday through Friday. Moreover, I work four days a week. I really have no time for friends and family. I only have one day to my self. Which is on a Sunday, so I try to used that day to catch up with Football(I am a die hard fan of sports) . Plus try to spend quality time with my mom and little sister.
    I remember reading something about you just turn 19 or something.
    In my options, we all have to work for the rest of our lives after college, but you are only young once. So, enjoy your youth. Not all of us will be lucky enough to find a career in which we have passion for. Smily face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment kevin. im sorry that the boat we are both in has a very long, arduous journey before it, but hey thats life right? I am only 19 yet i feel like my youth has escaped me. ive been working for 4 years now, going to school full time. but its what has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. I literally am not going to have a life this semester because I'm always either at school or work. And I just found out I'm, 2.5 units short of transferring next fall, so I might need to take a 6th class at De Anza. (I'm 19 too) It's ridiculous! This better pay off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am afraid that I am in the same sail boat, but with the little difference that I have to take care my two children and prepare food for them daily. I know, as you said, this is what has to be done. Also, you seem to be an intelligent and well-prepared person, so do not think about getting married now, there is a bright future waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete